Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Urban Cougars

Zeus and I often laugh about the phenomenon of the "Urban Cougar" (and indeed, I even outdid myself by purchasing a "Cougar Hunter" tshirt for Christmas!) but lately that idea has taken on new meaning for me. Who else has noticed a lot of Cougar prowling going on lately? And by Cougar prowling, I mean law school girls getting "drunk" and lingering around parties/bars/street corners until the wee hours waiting for law school guys (and the occasional townie) to get juuuuust drunk enough to "fall behind the herd." It's like watching a lioness hunting a wildebeast - she waits until the weakest wildebeast has fallen behind the rest of the herd, and then...she POUNCES! She latches on to the wounded wildebeast and drags him, weak, helpless and alone, back to her lair.
And no, I am not describing my personal dating style. I just found it interesting to notice a little urban jungle role reversal going on here. No longer are men the predators - nay, now men have to travel in groups and, like the Canadian Monty, leave no man behind, lest some starved, ruthless cougar should stalk him and drag him off to parts unknown. Be wary, men, because now the ladies are the hunters and the men are the hunted.
Although that doesn't leave us in any prized position - I'm not exactly looking for a weak, wounded wildebeast, if you know what I mean. So I guess the like minded women out there will just have to be content with a glass of brandy and the heads we've already got mounted in our saloons (ooh, the innuendo...so good!) and wait for the next big game migration.

(Ok, that does it - Big Game Hunting is officially my new favorite metaphor, surpassing discussing people like foreign nations, i.e. the "International State of The Roni," and their interactions like trade negotiations, detente, or war.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to say is: LOL.

OK, I have more to say. It's also disturbing to note how the less-impaired wildebeasts scatter in confusion and alarm when one of their own "falls behind the herd." They obviously haven't had years of experience playing gay on the dancefloor to deflect irritating attention from their friends the way the ladies have been wont to do.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home